Sunday 24 June 2012

The proper way to pour a drink.


So Ben and Bora are leaving so we (the company workforce) went out to dinner. Thankfully it wasn’t a fancy place as most of use came straight from work. (I, however finish early on Fridays this month so happily I had time to change. Yes Mother, I made myself somewhat presentable. My green top met great success and dollops of barbecue sauce.)

The place is a fairly nice chicken barbecue joint with very long tables so we would pass plates up and down to be filled by those close to you. It was the most meat I’d had in a while and honestly did not find my stomach up to the challenge.  They kept bringing MORE!! Oh god, I think I’m still sweating out barbecue sauce (say what they want it was ketchup.)

More important than my meat induced coma anyway, was my lesson in proper drink etiquette. So apparently, we don’t really pour our own. You hold your glass in both hands and your friend pours for you. The director got up and poured beer for everyone like that and Helen (who was next to me) and I poured for each other. Apparently, although it says cider on it, it’s actually Sprite. Such scandalous lies.

We went to a bar after which I shall like simply on the premise that it gave us a platter of free food to encourage us to drink more. So Nachos, chicken nuggets (ah, nostalgia!), chips, battered sausages and deep fried bread. Honestly, who deep fries bread?  Personally, I blame America.

I also remembered how terrible I am at darts. Despite the instruction of the great dartsmaster Zach-teacher I suck pretty bad. XD I did win this weird game of ‘conquering japan with darts’ (All the tea and rice a woman could desire) which was hilarious as we had pretty much no idea how the scoring system works at all.  Let me tell you that machine was harsh, docking points for the weirdest thing but giving them even if your dart skitters off.  Obviously honour grudge matches are in our future.

Anyway, it seems that Korea doesn’t do cider like we would know it.  As I said before, what was labelled ‘cider’ was sprite and the closest thing we’ve seen is closer to apple juice. The beer….erm I don’t know it’s all the same to me. The place we went had a pretty good variety at any rate.

Like an amazing number of places here the bar we visited was inside a twisty turny path. What you should know about Songdo is that it is all about the back alley. (Apparantly Seoul takes this to the nth degree.) Everywhere you go has a back entrance that leads into a street with coffee shops, marts and whatnot. (must. get. pictures). And then a lot of these buildings that have entrances that take you upstairs to other businesses hidden upstairs – sometimes it’s hard to see the entrance.

Like my workplace takes three floors of a building and the entrance I take to get in is technically a part of Soopong Snack next door.  Kind of like leaving through the back entrance of McDs to go to the shoe shop there.

Add to this how I’m not used to ‘blocks’, the shortest buildings are at least six stories and my diabolical sense of direction – well, I get lost…..a lot. But enough about I how I spent most of Saturday.

Still hot by the way.

1 comment: