Friday 8 June 2012

Dubai To Incheon



I hated this flight and not because I had an aisle seat in the centre aisle. It’s because I was up so bloody long at that stage and couldn’t sleep in the seat. I reckon I got a few hours there dozing because I lost a few hours without noticing (or feeling more relaxed.)

I was glad of the change of clothes and chance to brush my teeth beforehand. I was even gladder to get out of that seat because I had such a crick in my ass…

Anyway, I dozed and alternated between too hot and too cold for a while and picked at all the food I was given. I think I had chicken and a bit of John Dory on each occasion (or at least something resembling said substances.) 16 hours inflight left me simply desperate to get there and be done with it all.

After taking the train –where I seemed to be the only one not falling arse over kettle once it moved –  to immigration (yes, it was that sort of airport) and being legally admitted into the country (I did indeed stop somewhere along the line to gush at my stamp – quite sad really.) I rang to let them know I’d arrived and took the Limo bus which looks like an ordinary bus on the outside, swanky chairs on the inside. I mean, seriously, these were the most comfortable chairs I’d sat on in a long time. Bus Eireann could stand to learn a thing.

I had to fight with the public phone though. You’re not dialling fast enough huh? I call B. S.

My flat is on the 16th floor. (Building C!!) The obscene height is comforting seeing as I have no blinds but enormous windows that don’t really open. The bed is rock hard but surprisingly comfortable, good for the back I reckon. I can see though how there wouldn’t be quite enough space for two people. The bathroom is really the only other room, everything else is open plan. So my ‘bedroom’ looks out the siitting/living/kitchen window. I really wish there were blinds, if only for a bit more shade. (privacy is dubious too but as long as there’s no creeper with a high powered scope I should be fine.)

I wave a card over a sensor to get in and out and have a techy door entrance that Sean would simply love.  Slide up the panel, punch in the code, slide it down, entry granted. Ta-dah! Hours of fun once you lock yourself out.

There’s lots of cupboard space for me and a walk-in wardrobe. Yes, that’s right Mother. A walk-in wardrobe.  (Ohohohohohoho) Well, now that I have all that wardrobe space perhaps I should start by hanging up the things I forgot. Extra white shirts for one - I seriously need to get a hold of an iron soon.

They had it cleaned before I came – apparently. Wednesday is a national holiday so I’ll have that off and unless otherwise told I know how I’m going to be spending my morning. It’s not messy or filthy by any means but it’s simply not up to standards I’ve been raised to. Especially with kitchen surfaces which are just eeugh. The bathrooms going to be a mess whatever I do anyway. There’s a shower hose and a drain in the floor – work it out.

I do have a washing machine but no drying facility – boo- but I’m working on that.

One thing you must realise is how bloody hot it is to me. It’s just a persistent, unpleasant dead heat. Probably not significant for others but I find it easier to warm up than cool down.  Of course, seeing as it’s really hot (by my truly sad standards): I can’t really stomach anything, I keep waking up at odd hours, I’m constantly sweating and none of my clothes feel like they fit right. Bitch, whine moan.  I also got these weird hives on my arms in Dubai (still there, and itchy.) Either Dad slipped some bees into my luggage as punishment for getting a bee caught in my hair (and having a subsequent shrieking fit) or it’s heat related.  Lovely.

I’m still jet lagged despite getting some extra time to recuperate. Let’s talk Wednesday and see how I am then. XD

Apparently, I went light on the luggage. It was immediately commented upon that I brought a lot less baggage than most female teachers do.  There’s a lot more I would have liked to bring with me (like another 15 white shirts) but I had trouble handling what I had as it is. More bags and I wouldn’t have been able to carry or manoeuvre them. I was stumbling enough with what I had.

It doesn’t matter because one way or another I’d still have to buy essentials while I’m here. First, tea, then toilet paper. >:3

2 comments:

  1. The apartment sounds pretty awesome. You've got to take some pictures.

    Different people sleep better on different styles of mattress. Clearly you're a hard mattress person.

    ReplyDelete