Thursday 2 August 2012

Friendly Hyunja

This is the place in Insa-dong we were going to have lunch - we didn't.

We had spent a good part of the day in the famous Namdaemun Market but couldn't really find anywhere to eat. It didn't help I suppose that a good section of the sidestreets where we found restaurants had a smell that turned my stomach.  (Still riding the travel sickness wave at this point)

So it wasn't until later when we got to Insa-dong that we sought out a place. Unfortunately the steps were quite steep and made with wobbly stones. I wasn't thrilled with the angle (pr the precarious wobbling) but the menu looked interesting so I was willing to take the lunge.

However Karen - who is not great with steep steps- couldn't and after she stumbled on the higher steps we gave it up as a bad job. (I'm glad you're alright but Jesus my heart does not need such shock.)

So we ignored the stairs and simply went into the restaurant right there instead.


It was a nice place and at that stage I was just glad to be sitting down.  XD




They didn't have Chilsung (WTH, Dudes?) so I had to settle for Sprite. We questioned the veracity of it 'being' Sprite or 'being like' Sprite but hey, it's endorsed by the Coca-Cola Company so it probably is.......although I really ended up failing to care.





So I hadn't had chicken in a while so I asked Karen if she wanted to split an order between us. She agreed and we got a big ass pot as you see above.

It was delicious, really, really tasty. But the portion was enormous so next time we need more people.

Also, what we did not realise was how spicy it would be. Too spicy for me I'm afraid hahahaha (No, I most certainly did not stop eating!)

Karen, being much tougher than me, noted that the spice seemed to stick to your lips, not charring the nerves of your whole mouth.

Between the two of us I don't know if we made a respectable dint in the pot but we sure as hell tried.
We had a hilarious mime session with minimal English and Korean where we explained to the staff that while the food was delicious we just weren't manly enough to eat the entire pot.

Still, it was really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment