Saturday 9 March 2013

Haedong Yonggungsa - Busan Part Two

There's a lot of things at this temple that I didn't take pictures of or mention (and I won't).
No, I'm not going to make your life easier by telling you.


Anyways, Buddha Santa Claus. (Their description, not mine)


His proper name is Podaehwasang or Mandeokbul. (One thing I have learned about Buddhism is the many of the central figures have multiple names and incarnations.)



Hall of the Dragon King. (Yonggungdan) Everyone knows that dragons deserve pimped out pads.


................for obvious reasons. That and Buddha apparantly rides a dragon when it is appropriate to do so.




Here, have some merciful goddess. This statue is the Sea Kwaynin Buddha and is known for granting the wishes for those who pray for it. This seems to entitle this statue to the best view and you can see the entire temple from up here.



 
I believe this statue is of the the Yaksa Bodhisatva (Yaksa Yeoraebul) who is associated with mercy from death. They ritually release animals back into the ocean here.

I've probably gotten it a bit off but from what I have been told, a bodhisatva is someone who has attained enlightenment but instead of ascending to nirvana they remain on a lower plane to assist mortals.

There's a lot at this temple I haven't touched on. I will caution you that it is mildly steep and there are a lot stairs. (No, it's not wheelchair accessible) So, last thing here.
The pig is representative of a large family and wealth. >:3


Here we are by the golden pigs, hoping it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment