Wednesday 10 October 2012

Kyoto - The absolute BEST part.


While at Kinkakuji I had tea at the teahouse beside the shrine on the hill. It was staffed by girls in cute kimono uniforms and, I suspect, some of the monks.

In the picture above, you can see the view from the seats. Broad, low flat benches covered with a red cloth and a red umbrella.

I only had time for a small snack so I paid the girl, received my token and took a seat in the sunshine.



The snack was stamped with an image, which I found adorable, and I ended up bringing a box of them home. It tasted vaguely like marzipan and redbean. Tasty but rather rich.

The monk server appeared very quickly (and man, did he move fast in those robes) and rattled off a sting of instructions in japanes to which I smiled and nodded when I wasn't 'Heee~ tea-time! ^-^'

He firmly instructed me to eat the snack first and then to drink the tea. The tea was traditional matcha and foamy on the top. It was delicious.

I really would have like to bring some home but unlike the different blends of loose tea I haven't the foggiest notion how to brew it right.

To be perfectly honest, sitting out there in the nice weather, without any bugs around,  under the canopy with a nice serving of fresh tea was probably my favourite part.

No comments:

Post a Comment